Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Feeling good...

I'm feeling better.  Thanks for the sweet comments and prayers! :-)  

Last weekend was so good... For everyone!  


Friday night I went to sleep super early and got to sleep a full 11 hours that night.  I felt like a new woman the next day!  

Then on Saturday our friends Kate and Rhyan came over for dinner.  We had a great time with them and even talked them into playing Sing Star with us!  :-)  So fun!  


Sunday, Andrew's parents came over and we went to Arlington Cemetery.  I had never been and they have a driving pass because both of Andrew's grandparents (his mom's parents) are buried there.  It was a beautiful place and so moving.  Andrew's grandparents are buried right across the street from the recently deceased Iraq War soldiers.  We walked over there and and I got so choked up!  It definitely put the war into more perspective when I started looking at all of the engravings.  So many of these soldiers were younger than me.  We saw a family there with balloons, signs and flowers... there were young girls and parents...  I also saw a man alone, standing in front of a stone with a birth date of 1983.  My heart aches for them.  


It's difficult for me to comprehend the sacrifice these men and women have made for our country, but also the sacrifice that their wives, husbands, parents and children have to make as well.  I do not think I could be a military wife and I admire all of those women who are.  Even if you are a lucky one who has your husband/son/brother/etc. come home from war, they could be so changed that you hardly recognize them.  I have no idea how I would react if my child told me that she/he wanted to go into the military.  It would be difficult to accept, but definitely a proud moment to know that my child is willing to make that ultimate sacrifice for their country.  

Anyway, while there we also got to see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier.  Again, I got choked up!  How can you not?  The silence and the precision of the ceremony was beautiful.  

After we left, we had a yummy dinner for Andrew's birthday!  Monday my darling husband turned the big 3-0!  We didn't do too much to celebrate, but I made him his favorite dinner of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and broccoli.  And to top it all off a funfetti cake with chocolate frosting!  YUM!   

(Needless to say, with no Famished Friday last week, dieting went down the tubes once again. I'll get back on the wagon soon enough.)  

So... that's what's been going on in our lives.  I'm working on a Valentine's Day gift for my Andrew.  Once I give it to him, I'll post about it.  :-)  Don't want to give away the surprise.  

No comments: